Ways To Overcome "Resting B*tch Face"
'Resting B*tch Face' (RBF) is a problem many women, including myself, have to deal with on a daily basis. The way our faces naturally rest when we have no emotion makes us look angry, mean, upset, or in other words a complete b*tch. I've had a lot of people come up to me and ask me if I'm ok, or tell me that before they spoke to me they assumed I was arrogant because of RBF. It's not something that we can really change, but here are some tricks I've used to help overcome it! Now I know plenty of ladies love having the "angry" look on their faces and that's totally cool, do you! But this post is for those of you who are tired of seeming unapproachable or just want ways to be more outgoing!
1. Smile! I know it's weird to smile for no apparent reason and people will probably assume you're insane so I wouldn't suggest that. But smile at people you cross paths with on a day to day basis! Even if it's just a little smirk, this way people know they can approach you and have a conversation. Who knows, your smile could actually make someone's day! For instance if you went to a mall, restaurant, or any public place in general and someone held the door open for you, smile when saying thank you! It's the little things!
2. Practice the half smile. In situations where it may not be appropriate to have a huge grin on your face, the half smile shows that you're friendly enough to approach without making it seem like you're a little too excited. Also, the 'half smile' prevents people from asking you if everything's okay or if you randomly need a hug. Just turn the corners of your mouth slightly upwards while still keeping your face relaxed and that should do the trick!
3. Introduce yourself! We've all been in situations where we don't seem to know anyone. If that's you or someone around you, be friendly! This way if someone didn't feel like they could approach you because of RBF they'll be more comfortable knowing that you're actually friendly despite the lack of expression on your face. Being involved in conversation is extremely important. Don't know how to join in? Ask a question! Don't know about the subject being discussed? Again, ask a question!
4. Make an effort to reach out to people. Whether it's following them on Instagram, or sending a text saying "It was nice meeting you", it's always nice to show that you have a friendly side despite the look on your face. Plus if there's a possibility that someone may still assume you're as mean as you look then you have all your bases covered!
5. Joke about dealing with RBF! This is something I do quite a bit because 1. I actually find it hilarious that as outgoing and friendly as I am, I still manage to look SUPER intimidating so there's no harm in laughing about it here and there!
If you know of any more tips or tricks to overcome Resting B*tch Face, comment below! Hope you enjoyed this post! Be sure to let me know if there's any other topics you'd like me to write about. Thanks for reading!